Barone’s Tree Pros, a Clinton, MS tree service company, is sharing winter pruning and tree care tips for local property owners. Pruning involves removing dead, broken, diseased, and dying limbs or stems. Pruning trees and shrubs benefits their growth, shape, and overall health during any time of the year. However, trees and shrubs are usually dormant during winter, so winter is the best time to adjust the structure of these plants. Winter pruning also helps prevent the spread of diseases among trees.
Winter Pruning and Tree Care Tips
- Prune on a mild, dry winter day. If the temperature drops below freezing, it will dry out the pruning incisions.
- Remove branches with snow or ice damage first.
- Research which part of the winter season is the best pruning period for various species of trees.
- Try to cut branches at the node, the part where one branch attaches to another. If necessary, cut branches from the collar of the trunk.
- Always cut branches at a 45-degree angle.
- Prune summer-blooming shrubs during the late winter. Evergreen shrubs should also have their lower branches removed during late winter.
- Never prune too far or too close to a bud. Doing so will damage the bud and prevent future blossoming. There should be a 1/2 to 1/4 inch radius between the bud and the incision. As with branches, always cut at a 45-degree angle.
- When trimming bushes, cut the thickest overgrown branches first. Never remove more than a third of the shrub.
- Use hand pruners instead of larger shears when trimming bushes, especially evergreen bushes.
- Consider listening to music while pruning. OurBeautifulPlanet.org, a nature lifestyle blog, states that listening to music while outdoors offers several benefits, including enhancing concentration, maintaining pace, stimulating the brain, and reducing anxiety.
Winter provides an excellent opportunity to give trees and shrubs the attention they need to flourish throughout the year. However, not everyone has the time to commit to pruning their landscape. If they want to trust their tree care needs to the experts, Clinton, MS residents can turn to Barone’s Tree Pros, a team of skilled arborists and tree surgeons with over thirty years of experience. The tree specialists will help clients assess the health of trees, and they will provide assistance for every step of the tree care journey, including emergency situations. Licensed and insured, Barone’s Tree Pros has the tools, equipment, and skills for any tree care job.
Locally owned and operated, Barone’s Tree Pros provides professional tree service with the highest level of customer satisfaction. Services include tree removal, tree trimming, tree pruning, stump grinding, and debris cleanup.